In an effort to attract desirable reinvestment, Midtown has catalyzed and co-led three focused planning processes to help define a shared vision. Envision Broad Ripple, Maple Road Visioning, and Envision College Avenue have involved hundreds of residents in more than 24 evening sessions since April 2008. This work will result in refined subarea plans and establishment of form-based zoning practices, and will create a proactive definition of the type of development that residents and business owners want to see in Midtown. This will help to limit controversial "zoning by variance" practices and will discourage the proposal of suburban-style chain establishments, fast-food restaurants, and strip malls.
Midtown Indianapolis, Inc.'s mission is to:
- Enhance Midtown's sense of place and district identification to keep it beautiful, walkable, bikeable, and sustainable.
- Promote local businesses, cultural institutions, and tourist destinations.
- Attract community and business development, including comprehensive infrastructure improvements and transit options.
- Serve as a catalyst for sound practices in business enhancement and residential renovation.
- Make Midtown prosper and inspire surrounding areas to develop in an equally positive way.
The goals and objectives that make up Midtown's strategic plan focus on four areas: Promotion, Policy, Planning, and Project Development. Many of the goals and objectives set in 2007 are intended for completion by 2012.